ROY KEANE has left Sunderland today after 28 months in charge at the Stadium of Light..

The Black Cats boss was under severe pressure after his side plummeted into the Premier League relegation zone. Sunderland have confirmed that Keane, 37, is no longer in charge at the Stadium of Light, although it is not yet clear whether he quit or was sacked. The Irishman held crisis talks with the club’s board this morning and it was decided the two parties would go their separate ways.

They have lost six of their last seven matches despite spending £35million in the summer. Former Manchester United star Keane started his managerial career in style in 2006 by guiding them from the bottom of the Championship all the way to the Premier League. But he has spent £80m in the transfer market without establishing Sunderland as a top-flight force. After Saturday's 4-1 home defeat to Bolton, Keane said:

“I ask myself every single day if I am the right man for Sunderland. I asked myself this morning and I said that I was. Tomorrow morning if the answer’s no we will have to look at it. I have to be honest in my assessment. It’s not about what’s best for Roy Keane. It’s Sunderland Football Club. I might wake up on Monday morning and think I’m the right man. On Tuesday it might be different.”
In Keane's 100 games as manager he earned 42 wins and 17 draws, with 41 losses. His impressive start to life in management saw him touted as a successor to Sir Alex Ferguson, but with his strong-willed character seeing him walk away from Sunderland and no financial need to continue to work after his successful playing career, there must be serious doubt as to whether he would want to continue in management.

1 comments

  1. Ir. hydir  

    December 5, 2008 at 9:14 AM

    roy keane can't stand the pressure at the helm of sunderland anymore ... his team in 18th position and no sooner he can get them out ...

    In the end ... results speak for the managers future!

Your Ad Here

Recent Entries




The Glorious of Footy Images

The Glorious of Footy Videos

Glorious Links