Jermain Defoe has been cleared to play against Wigan Athletic on Sunday after completing his move back to Tottenham Hotspur from Portsmouth.

Defoe agreed terms to rejoin the club he left just over a year ago earlier in the week and was paraded to fans ahead of the Carling Cup semi-final first leg victory over Burnley but the paperwork was not filed immediately. Defoe has credited Harry Redknapp and the club's fans as the key reasons for his return to White Hart Lane.

"It feels crazy," he said. "Since I left I've been getting texts and everywhere I go I bump into Spurs fans, it's just great to be back. The fans were probably the main factor. I spoke to my cousin and he said 'the fans love you there'. For me it is a strange feeling. When you get that many fans who appreciate what you do, it's hard to find words how I feel about it. I want to start afresh, like it's the first time, and hopefully score a lot of goals."
It is the third club at which manager Redknapp will work with Defoe, after overseeing his development at West Ham and then signing him for Portsmouth. The deal is valued at around £15million, with the delay occurring as Spurs were entitled to an sell-on fee, even though they were also the club buying the player. It is thought that he has agreed a five-year contract.

0 comments

Your Ad Here

Recent Entries




The Glorious of Footy Images

The Glorious of Footy Videos

Glorious Links